As a buyer and seller on Etsy, I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience about buying and selling handmade. The following are some ideas on how to add a personal touch. This is the way I like to be treated when I purchase.
1. As soon as you get an order, respond either by an email or convo. I use convo if the cutomer has been on Etsy for awhile. If the customer is brand new, I use their email address. Example: "Thank you for your purchase. Your package will be mailed on Tuesday." This takes about 2 minutes and adds the personal touch.
2. Leave feedback for your customer. I do this after I have mailed the package. Example: "Great customer. Fast payment. Your purchase is in the mail."
3. In your package, add either a business card or a card with an artist biography. If the customer is giving their purchase as a gift to somone, the card can be included with their gift.
4. In the package you mail, add a card or note saying "Thank you for your purchase." You can recycle old greeting cards. These notes do not have to be fancy but make sure they are neat.
5. Some customers appreciate unique packaging. I decorate the envelopes I use to mail the quilted fabric postcards using stamps. Sometimes I wrap the postcards with tissue paper and tie with a little piece of ribbon. Use your imagination and reuse and recycle!
Remember that when customers buy handmade they usually want a more personal touch.
Visit my Etsy shop at http://sewupscale.etsy.com/